Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I am not Joe the Plumber



I only have a minute to blog this morning, but I have to say that every time McCain and Obama addressed their debate responses directly to "Joe The Plumber," any relevance their responses had for me fell away.

It was a canny strategy on McCain's part because it seemed folksy and jovial but actually framed the responses withing the perspective of senior, older male business owners. Employees, women, young families, twentysomethings just starting out--we were left in the cold. And then Obama was forced to adopt the frame as well.

I thought Obama did a good job but if he had steered the conversation to women's issues more often (as he did with McCain's vote against Equal Pay legislation) McCains glaring deficencies on the issues I care about most would have been more evident. I just want Election Day to arrive. But I think we Moms should find a way to shout from the mountain tops I AM NOT JOE THE PLUMBER.

technorati tags:
| |
More at: News 2 Cromley

No comments: